The Advantages of a Whole House Water Filter
If you’re considering getting and using a whole house water filtration system, here are some of the likely benefits.
- Maybe the main reason whole home water filters have an edge over all other kinds of home water filter systems is they protect your plumbing and appliances from clogging due to sediment and corrosion. Water can be high in iron, scale or dirt. It can create buildup and deposits in pipes, and end up in what you drink and eat. Contaminants or particulates in water can also wear and damage water heaters, dishwashers, laundry and other devices and appliances.
- Next, whole home water filters are usually made with multi-stage filtration to filter out numerous pollutants – from large to small to microscopic. The most effective systems can remove sediment at the sub-micron size, eliminate dangerous chemicals like pesticides and PFAS, and stop or kill all bacteria and viruses. So by the time the water reaches your taps and fixtures, you can be certain it’s pure and safe as spring water.
- Over time, you might see a rise in water pressure due to better, clearer plumbing and a decline in repair or upkeep costs for your home appliances.
- An additional benefit is many people will see a significant improvement in their skin and hair health. Why? Chemicals and minerals in tap water can cause dry skin. It can also cause symptoms or increased problems regarding psoriasis, eczema or dermatitis. Water can harm hair, making it brittle or unmanageable.
- Have you found your clothing isn’t as bright and clean as it should be after washing it? Dirty water is the likely offender. As your washing machine uses filtered water, you will get cleaner and brighter clothing. In a similar way, your dishes will have less smudges leftover residue.
Benefits of an Under Sink Filter
For contrast, here are some of the advantages of under sink water filters.
- They are conveniently available and less expensive compared to whole home water filters. You can purchase and use a high quality under sink filtration system at a budget-friendly price.
- Due to simpler designs, many under sink systems are easy to install and maintain yourself. With scheduled filter replacements and normal cleansing, a good quality device will last work for years.
- These systems are easy to install. You probably don’t need to pay a professional for installation and you won’t need work or changes to plumbing or other difficult work.
- They can fit in nearly all kitchens and stay out of sight. A whole house filter needs space close to a water meter.
- The filtering performance of an under sink filter is extremely good and efficient. Some filters now have multi-layer filtering and thoroughly filter your water without lowering the water pressure in the sink or whole house.
What’s in Your Water?
Deciding on a water filtration system is also about knowing what you need for your water. It helps to know your family’s needs, what’s best for your home and about your water. So, what do you need with your water supply? The response depends on the quality and specifics of your water supply. For instance, if your specific complaint with your home’s tap water is a bad chlorine odor and taste, an under sink system is your best choice. It’ll provide filtered water right at your kitchen tap which is all you need.
On the other hand, a whole home filtration system is best if you are tired of:
- Poor skin and hair health and condition
- Dirty and stained clothing and laundry
- Dirty glassware
- Limescale deposits on tanks and water heaters
- Buildup in plumbing
- Corroded pipes
How to Check Your Water?
In addition to these signs, some contaminants or impurities in water don’t leave marks on dishes or clothes. You might need to test your home water to truly know more about it.
- Lab Test
The most reliable method to test water is to send a sample to a qualified research laboratory. The lab will find the level of each pollutant tested, making it easy for you to know the filtration system and capability you need.
- DIY Test Kits
Test kits are readily available in stores. They are relatively inexpensive. Water test kits quickly show you the primary impurities in a water supply.
- Consumer Confidence Reports
Your local municipality has already done the job for you. Just find your local water report at epa.gov and use the data to determine the most effective means of filtering or treatment.
Whole House vs. Under Sink or Both?
The best plan for the best water quality in your home could be to combine an under sink filter and a whole home filter for the best possible treatment of tap or well water. But, isn’t a whole home filter going to do everything a “smaller” filter will do? Yes and no.
Water filtration is more effective with the more layers of filters water passes through. If your water has high levels of chemicals, metals, sediment, dissolved organic matter or minerals, you may want to set up a system with a whole home filter and a point of use filter for drinking water. This double system will filter out 99.9% of contaminants from drinking water.
South End Water Filtration specializes in HALO Water Filter products including the HALO H2 Zero Whole Home Water Filter. HALO systems solve hard water problems, give your family clear, great-tasting water and are totally maintenance free. We’re just a click away to help and answer any questions. South End Plumbing and South End Water Filtration will give you a free estimate. Call us at 704-486-1988 or contact us online to schedule a visit.